Monday, January 26, 2015

What we're eating during the Pantry Challenge - week #4

It's the last week of the Pantry Challenge.

January 25 -
Breakfast: ds#3 spent the night with a friend.  Hubs had eggs & bacon, and I had an apple.
Lunch: we took ds#3 & his buddy out to lunch after church.
Dinner: we had tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner.  Easy peasy.

January 26 -
I have a workshop today.
Breakfast: ds#3 had a super duper milkshake with ice cubes, coconut milk, cocoa powder, vitamin C powder, and a little honey.  Hubs had monkey salad, eggs, and bacon.  I had water.  I had an apple when I got to my workshop.
Lunch: Hubs had Hawaiian chicken in his lunchbox (I still can't believe how much he likes this dish!!!).  Ds#3 had turkey roll-ups, tortilla chips, homemade mini-larabars, and homemade trail mix with cashews, pecans, and chocolate chips.  I went out with my colleagues.  The leftovers from my lunch (a chicken quesadilla) will be ds#3's lunch tomorrow!!!
Dinner: I decided that nachos would be a good Monday comfort meal.  I browned our last pound of ground beef, diced some tomatoes (we're out of salsa), and melted some cheese.  They were delicious.  Hubs had a slice of apple pie for dessert (that I baked on Saturday), and ds wanted something sweet too... so I went on the hunt.  I found a recipe for chocolate pudding - coconut cream, white chocolate chips (because I didn't have any other kind), a little honey, cocoa powder, the very last of the peanut butter, and some ground chia seeds.  All blended together and chilled.  Ds#3 ate two bowls before it was even cold.

January 27 -
Breakfast: hubs requested pancakes. Ds#3 was not hungry.  I had an apple.
Lunch: Hawaiian chicken for hubs (I made more rice); my leftover chicken quesadilla with tortilla chips for ds.  I had a salad with leftover turkey and cranberries.
Dinner: Hubs stayed late after school today.  We had turkey open-faced sandwiches: I reheated some turkey stock (after cooking the carcass in the crock pot) and thickened it up for a pan gravy.  Then I put slices of the turkey in the gravy to heat up, with a few sliced mushrooms, and served it over gluten-free bread that I grilled in a pan.  A tossed salad alongside and everyone was content.

January 28 -
Pickin's are gettin' slim.
Breakfast: I made a bacon-broccoli quiche and hubs decided he wanted some for breakfast, so he had that with the single leftover pancake and a fried egg.  Ds#3 did not like the quiche. Sigh. :/ So I finished his piece of quiche and we headed to school.
Lunch: The very last of the Hawaiian chicken with rice for Hubs; ds#3 had tortilla chips with cheese, a small tossed salad, larabars and trail mix.  I had a salad again.
Dinner: Bowling night for Hubs, so he went out with his bowling team.  Ds#3 & I had baked potatoes - his was a russet potato topped with bacon, cheese, butter, and sour cream.  Mine was a sweet potato with butter, bacon, and Swiss chard from the garden.
Snack: Ds asked for something sweet, so I went on the hunt.  Not a lot to bake with, but I found a pumpkin roll in the freezer that had been given to us at Christmas.  He loved it.

January 29 -
I feel like Old Mother Hubbard... and the boys are noticing.
Breakfast: Hubs requested pancakes again.  And the last of the bacon.  Ds ate a slice of pumpkin roll from last night. I did not eat.
Lunch: I made Hubs a big tossed salad with turkey chunks, feta, pecans and cranberries (he loved it).  Ds had tortilla chips & cheese, salad, and a slice of pumpkin roll.  I had a salad.
Dinner: A friend that I grew up with came into town, and asked if she could see my family and me.  So my mom, sis, nephews, ds#3 & me met her at Chick-fil-A.  Mom bought dinner for everyone and I got something to go for Hubs, who was working late.  This was really nice because I am totally out of ideas.

January 30 -
The challenge has ended.  And payday has come.  HALLELUJAH.
January is a L-O-N-G month.... not only does it have five weeks, but we also receive our paycheck before we get out of school in December, so by the time we get paid again, it's been 7 weeks.  We made it.  WHEW.
Breakfast: For Hubs, the last pancake with quiche (two pieces) & fried egg.  Pumpkin roll for ds.  Chick-fil-A nuggets for me after I went to the credit union.
Lunch: The guys were participating in a special event at school today, and they had pizza.  I had a small salad and fruit.
Dinner: I had already determined I was going to the grocery store immediately after school because there was nothing (or almost nothing) in the house to cook.  I picked up a chicken tenders tray and brought it home - this will provide SEVERAL meals/snacks for us so it was still a better deal than going out to eat.

And we are done. :)

No comments: