Sunday, July 24, 2011

The last July Menu

Sigh.
It's the end of July, and that signals so many things.
First, we are going on a mini-vacation this week, so that is a good thing.
Next, the end of July means that August is almost here.  That means summer is almost over for us. (That is not a good thing.)
And we didn't follow the menu plan very well this week.  Par for the course!


I'm giving up on the Eggplant Rollatini for now.  I've made an oven-baked version of Eggplant Parm this week that has been super yummy - it's not layered with cheese or doused with sauce; it's kind of deconstructed.  I made the eggplant, and it's covered in panko, which means it's super crispy which I love.  I've got homemade tomato sauce to dip it in, so I can eat it like an appetizer, or layer it with cheese and sauce it for a heavier dish.  Yummmmmm.

I made several jalapeno poppers for hubby this week - enough for him to snack on for a few days, and some for the freezer! (I slice mine in half to make them easier to manage.)

We did have the Pesto Chicken and it was yummy.  I used the leftovers mixed with pasta and some Laughing Cow cheese for lunch.  I loved the smell of basil in the kitchen.

This week will be a short week as far as the kitchen goes, because we'll be out of town for a few days...  seeing old friends, taking in a baseball game, and going to the LEGO store!!

So here's our plan this week:
Sunday~ Leftovers: turkey, butternut squash casserole (which was VERY yummy), watermelon.
Monday~ out to dinner to celebrate my grandpa's birthday.
Tuesday~ Some feat of leftover wizardry to use up all the perishables before we go.
Wednesday - Friday~ no cooking for Mom ;)
Saturday~ back to our routine, probably lunch with friends, and an easy crockpot dinner involving some kind of chicken (because that's what we have the most of!)

No comments: