Sunday, February 7, 2010

February's menu... and another pantry challenge??

I just finished our taxes. Bummer. We don't have to pay, but our refund is relatively small. Ugh. We're trying to save some money for upgrades to our house before hurricane season, so I'll be pulling from what we already have in stock, only hitting the stores for milk, bread, eggs, and REALLY AWESOME specials.

This week, we followed the plan really well. Of course, going out to eat twice helped! :) On Saturday, I had planned Chicken with mushroom gravy in the crock pot, but we still had some leftover beef tenderloin to use up. So, I sauteed some baby bella mushrooms, sliced the tenderloin very thinly, and added some gravy. I served it all over mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli on the side. Easy, cheap, and great way to use up those leftovers. (By the way, those tenderloins can be pricey - $9 on sale - but they last my family three meals, so they turn out to be a good deal!)

So, because of our slight modifications, this week will hold a couple of changes as well.
Sunday~ Rachael Ray's Chili Cheese Fries (made with leftover chili from last week, and instead of a cheese sauce, I just sprinkled shredded cheese on top). Fun treat for Superbowl Sunday!
Monday~ Hubby has class, so ds#3 & I will fend for ourselves.
Wednesday~ Potato-Bacon Torte (this is such an easy, delicious recipe!!), French Onion soup
Thursday~ Chicken in mushroom gravy, egg noodles, broccoli, rolls (looking for a good recipe - any suggestions?)
Friday~ Sandwiches & chips (Olympic opening ceremonies)
Burgers & Dogs on the grill, baked beans, fries (Baseball tryouts)
and for the next week...
Sunday~Happy Heart Day! My grandparents are renewing their wedding vows today and we are going out to eat afterward.
Monday~ Spaghetti, french bread, caesar salad, and in honor of President's Day, Apple Cherry pie for dessert
Tuesday~ Orange Chicken, (I cheat and use chicken nuggets from the freezer, so I only have to make the sauce) rice, mandarin oranges, broccoli, won tons
Wednesday~ Breakfast for dinner: eggs, bacon, grits.
Thursday~ Tacos
Friday~ Red beans & rice, cornbread
Saturday~ TBD.

Share your menu at Laura's!

4 comments:

Leah said...

Gosh, I got a great deal on those Turkey Tenderloins, one of the stores I was in last week had a ton of them reduced to $2.99 each! I usually don't purchase these because (around here) they are usually $6.00 or more for 24 ozs, which I think is pretty high for 1 1/2 lbs. of Turkey, considering you can pick up a whole one for that during the Holidays!

Anyway, to answer your coupon organization question, I use the Binder Method, and I did a tutorial several months ago that you can check out here at http://lavidacheapo.blogspot.com/2009/06/new-method-for-organizing-my-coupons.html.

Jen said...

I know what you mean about home repairs. We hope to get the roof replaced this year. The menus look great. I think I want to try the Potato Torte

Michelle said...

looks like a great menu...I like that you post for 2 weeks out. And I like your blog! I'm also a mom of boys. boys rule :)

Colie's Kitchen said...

Yummy chili cheese fries... sounds great... my weakness!!. Thank you for sharing!! Nicole www.colieskitchen.com