Sunday, May 31, 2009

June is bustin' out all over! Menu...


We survived the last week of school with students, and the last baseball game of our season. Whew. As for last week's menu, it was.... well.... interesting. The Aussie Chicken was really good and I will probably make it again. We did have tacos and bbq pork sandwiches as planned, but there were a couple of nights that did not go as well.
On Memorial Day, I learned an important lesson: thawed ground beef does not make good hamburgers. In fact, it won't make hamburgers at all. Usually, when I buy ground beef, I bring it home and immediately shape some into hamburger patties so they are ready when we're in the mood for a burger. However, I was out of those, so I decided to thaw some meat to make up patties. They would not hold together. I tried adding egg. And bread crumbs. And nothing worked. My husband was not happy (because he was looking forward to a juicy burger from the grill) and subsequently our entire dinner got burned. I will not repeat that mistake.

As for this week? Hopefully there won't be any cooking errors!
Sunday~ we did grill some successful and delicious burgers on Saturday, so we'll have leftover burgers & chips.
Monday~ Spinach & mushroom smothered chicken (this is a new recipe and I'm anxious to see how it turns out!), mashed potatoes, honey wheat popovers
Tuesday~ Black'n'bleu salad (our own version of this one at O'Charley's)
Wednesday~ we have a Spanish ship sailing into port in our city, so we plan to take the afternoon tour and then go out to dinner.
Thursday~ Rachael Ray's Texas chili-cheese fries, salad
Friday~ Roast chicken, roasted potatoes (since the oven will be on, I may as well use it for double duty!), tossed salad, cornbread
Saturday~ some kind of pasta... if we have enough ripe tomatoes from our garden, I will toss cooked pasta with the fresh tomatoes, fresh basil, and top with feta cheese. Yummmmm. Nothing like dinner from the garden!
Get inspired or share your favorites
at Menu Plan Monday,
hosted by Laura!

No comments: