Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Tackle It Tuesday

The first tackle is a request to pray for Carolyn, who usually inspires everyone with her tackles at 5 Minutes for Mom. She's been battling depression and could use some help.

Next, for me...
In a household of two teachers, during the summertime, we must be careful to budget because we do not receive a paycheck. And the month of August always seems to bring an extra degree of belt-tightening.

So, I've decided to plan out the menus for the month, every day. I will do a big shopping trip this weekend, and will do my best NOT to grocery shop again until the end of the month.

When my big boys were young, I used to do this all the time, and got pretty good at it. The trick is, once you've got all the items for your menus, you don't need to "pick up some milk" and come home with $40 worth of other items. And the temptation to eat out, unless it is planned for, is eliminated, because I know what we're eating and it's probably already cooking. We won't be eating beans and rice everyday (although it is on the menu this month!) and I think with our garden, we'll be able to keep a pretty good selection of produce around. And it will definitely help our checkbook.

What are you tackling?

6 comments:

Dawn said...

I am with you on the no pay during the summer school break; it's a bummer! Good luck with your planning: I have started a weekly menu too.

Maddy said...

I have a hard time meal planning for a week! A month would just about finish me off.
Cheers

Muthering Heights said...

I love planning my meals out for the month! It takes a lot of stress away knowing what to cook and when, plus what you need at the store!

Anonymous said...

I need to start making shopping lists again. It just seems like I always forget something though..lol. I am so absent minded.


http://www.southernpixie.com/msgrrlblog

Audra Krell said...

Love that you taken the experience of past Augusts' and are planning ahead for this one. I admire your discipline and obedience. Planning for a month of meals sounds like a great plan.

Anonymous said...

You mean you don't take summer jobs? ;-) I always thought teachers didn't work during the summer and found out otherwise. I thought they did family things at the time.